Wednesday, November 21, 2007

I couldn't wait until morning to post this...I'm that pissed.

I have some real feedback for Sunshine Electronics (Ebay Id Shopsunshine). They are an Ebay store that specializes in selling Cameras, Camcorders, and TVs. I was searching for a Nikon D40 to replace a camera for my business. I won't go into too much detail but I do some freelance as well as working with one of the most popular camera review and information sites on the net (trust me, we'll be posting a front page article on these guys to tell our customers to stay far away).

Anyway, while searching for the D40 I came across Sunshine Electronics. The package and price looked decent, their feedback percentage was in the high 98% range, and they are based out of Brooklyn, NY (I usually get things from NY overnight with standard UPS ground service) so I decided to give these guys a try. Bad Idea!

As with most Ebayer's I pay for most things with PayPal. It's quick and easy especially when buying from an Ebay store with the Buy It Now option. Sunshine Electronics's listings said they accepted Ebay but when I tried to pay for my item I soon found there was no option to pay online. I received an email stating that in order to pay I would have to call in and speak to a representative.

Strange Huh? Also a little annoying. Why should I have to call in to pay something if I'm using PayPal? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of PayPal? But I decided what the heck, I'll do it anyway.

When I called in I spoke to a representative and told him I would like to pay for my Ebay order. I gave him my info and that's when the up selling began! "Ah ha" that's why I had to call in.

The salesperson asked me "What Kind of battery do you want with your Nikon D40? The 3 Hour or 6 Hour?". He made it seem as though no battery was included in the box or as if I had to buy an upgraded battery.


"Doesn't Nikon Include a battery in the box?" I asked? (If I wanted an upgraded battery I would have just purchased on from ebay)


He then told me that I had to purchase shipping insurance in addition to the 39.99 shipping charge. If I purchased it, he said, I would get expedited shipping. So in the interest of speeding this process along I said ok. Once the upselling was complete I was told that I would recieve an email with a paypal payment request and that would get everything moving.

It was all downhill from there.

Friday-

I waited all day for that payment request and nothing came. I was concerned so I called back three times to find out where it was and after a total of about 20 mins of holding was told that it would arrive shortly. It never did. I called back again and got a recording stating that they were closed for the day.

Now I'm concerned. I was hoping to get this camera before thanksgiving but it might not happen.


Saturday-

I called in hoping I could speak to a manager to straighten this whole thing out. "Just take my payment already so I can get this camera and get some work done.", I thought as I dialed.

No such luck- These guys arent even open on Saturday's. I got a message telling me to call back on Sunday"

....The clock is ticking...

Sunday-

I called early so these guys don't close up shop on me. I spoke to someone who promised they would send a payment request through.

Waited....Waited...Waited.... Nothing!

Called back again- Promised again-

Waited....Waited...Waited.... Nothing!

Called back again- "Sorry we are closed for the day".


You've got to be kidding me!

At this point I had enough. I went to ebay and left feedback -"After 3 days still no payment req. I called 3x and still nothing. I'm done."

And with that I began bidding on another camera package from another dealer with overnight shipping. That was until I got a call from Danny.

Monday-

I got a call early Monday morning from Danny (I won't print his last name) whom I assume is some kind of Manager over at Sunshine Electronics. He called me and told me he read the bad feedback and wanted to make things right. He informed me that the rep who took my order was new and had trouble with the payment request. He offered to upgrade my battery (that again) and give me overnight shipping. His exact words were "You'll have it in your hands tomorrow morning".

I just needed to do one thing for them; Withdraw the bad feedback I left for them on Ebay. I asked if I could withdraw the feedback after I received the camera package but was told that it withdrawing feedback first was necessary in order to get the overnight shipping.

Now normally I would have declined but I received a request earlier in the day to take pictures for an important city event on Tuesday evening. This would mean I could accept that job and get some sorely needed holiday money.

Against my better judgment I agreed as Danny took me through the steps of withdrawing feedback on Ebay. Once that was complete (and believe me, he made sure that was complete before we moved on) he told me I would receive a tracking number shortly for DHL overnight Air delivery.

Waited....Waited...Waited.... Nothing!

Called back again- Promised again-

Waited....Waited...Waited.... Nothing!

Called back again- "It is being shipped as we speak sir"- But still no tracking #. Oh well.

Tuesday-

I waited all day for that package to come. Guess what? After all of that promising nothing! It turns out the package was never sent. What makes things worse is that they tricked me into withdrawing my negative feedback!

Damn, They got me! I fell for the scam!! Now they have my money, my feedback, and I'm gonna have to cancel this shoot at the last minute. I lose money, reputation, and future jobs because of this.

At this point I am pissed. I called Danny, got his VM, and left a message. I called Sunshine Electronics and after waiting 20 minutes I got a rep. I barely finished explaining my situation when he put me on hold (without asking). I waited on hold another 30 mins (no exaggeration. I have a minute counter on my phone) when I got another rep. She asked for my order number and in likewise fashion abruptly put me on hold (without asking).

Waited....Waited...Waited.... Finally got a rude rep who gave me a "what the hell do you want me to do about it?" attitude.

He said "look it's in the warehouse and it will get to you by tomorrow morning."

"Really", I said, "How do I know I'm not gonna get stiffed like last time?"

"Because you'll have the tracking number within the hour." He said.

Waited....Waited...Waited.... Nothing!

Called back again- Promised again-

Waited....Waited...Waited.... Nothing!

Called back again- "Sorry we are closed for the day".


So that's it. I wont be getting my camera tomorrow either and these guys still have my money. They broke promises, scammed me out of my ebay feedback, were rude, cost me business, and cost me reputation.

I wrote all this so hopefully someone will read this and not have to go through what I went through. I plan on posting this on all the photography forums and blogs that I am a part of or visit. I might even send it to my good friends at CNET.

These guys don't keep their word and don't care. Really, when shopping online what is worse than that?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I can't believe these guys are still in business. Thanks for posting. I was just getting ready to spend a bunch of money on plasma's for our new offices.

You should also post this on ripoffreport.com

I guess you know now; never remove negative feedback until you get your items.

Please post again and let everyone know how things go from here.

Sue Bailey said...

Good luck - I hope this works out for you. Please do let us all know how this works out.

You're on my blog here, btw:
http://www.tamebay.com/2007/11/dont-get-mad-get-blogging.html

Anonymous said...

Actually their ebay id is sunshineelec and judging from their feedback, you are not the only person to run into trouble.

Last 12 months feedback. Positive 8932, Neutral 210, Negative 70. If over 3% of these guys customers are not happy, I don't know why anybody still buys from them.

Sorry about your shoot and your time, nobody can refund that. You'll most likely get your money back though.

Anonymous said...

I won't be purchasing from them. I was checking their feedback and saw the link to this blog. That was smart!

Ebay stores get away with this kind of thing far too often. I say you leave it up until they fix this situation for you!

Anonymous said...

A Belgian friend of me asked to know how to buy from ebay via me living in Canada ... I saw your blog in feedbacks and I aware him to DON'T BUY WITH THAT SELLER !

Thanks for your warning ! Seller just lost a $1500US :)

Toche

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your feedback. It has saved me from many headaches and losing my money. A million THANKS !!! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking the time to document your experiences with Sunshine. I was close to making a purchase until I started exploring the negative feedback comments and then ran into your story. Did the job...scared me off. Just want to say thanks.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up I always check the Feedback before I buy and was about to buy a KDL-46XBR4 HD tv From the boys of Shine thanks to your blog You saved me $2500 bucks and way more headaches then i needed.

Anonymous said...

oh no!! My boyfriend and I just bought a camera (canon 400d) a couple of days ago from sunshine!! And we live in norway so it will not be easy for us to sit on the phone for hours like you did!!! Dont tell me I just lost 800 dollars!!!!!!!!! Please!

liz

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this blog!! I was gonna buy a camera from this seller but after looking at the feedback, wasn't sure about them, then i found your link!!! Thanks for saving me from a headache